Blind Tech Guys
Android vs iPhone, The Battle Begins
Aug 08, 2020
Nimer, Marco, and Warren
Welcome to Episode 46 of ANATAD Podcast. Over the next few weeks, we will be comparing Android vs iPhone and seeing who comes out on top.
We started off this episode by thanking our podcast host Buzzsprout for the excellent work they have done on accessibility with their website. They have added headings on pages to help with navigation, added buttons to the tab order to easily be reached with the keyboard, and added keyboard shortcuts for items in the editor toolbar to help with editing each episode's show notes.
In the news this week:
- Google sent out an email this week alerting users to a change about how voice data for Google Assistant is being stored. To learn more or to change the setting, use this link.
- Android Beta 3 was released this past week, so the team discussed enhancements to accessibility in this third, and potentially final beta.
- Long-pressing on the record button in messaging apps works again.
- Moving apps by dragging, as well as accessing launcher shortcuts has been fixed.
- Badge counts on folders is now accurately reported.
- The Pixel 4A was released this week, and Warren has ordered it for demoing on a future episode of the cast.
- You can order one by visiting this link.
- Before ordering though, listen to the podcast to find out what Nimer and Marco think about the value of this device.
- Samsung held its unpacked event, and released the Z Flip, the new Samsung Buds, and the new Galaxy watch, a new tablet, and the Note 20 and the Note 20 Ultra.
- Find out what our team thinks of the new Note devices, as well as, in general, all flagship devices from this year.
- WhatsApp is giving us good news this week.
- They are encrypting their cloud
- they are allowing messages to expire after a week
- And they are adding multiple device support.
Comparing Android with iPhone
During our main section this week, Nimer and Marco compared Android and iOS in a number of areas.
- We compared adjusting speech rate.
- We compared the phone app.
- We compared the messages app, and agreed that icons seem smaller, and thus harder to explore to on iOS.
- We discussed granularity adjustments, and the changes upcoming to granularity in Android 11.
- To cap it off, we discussed keyboards on both platforms and you may well be surprised with our findings.
- We addressed an email by Gary in regards to the Odin PC application for installing Samsung ROMs.
- We addressed a message by Ben Young in regards to whether zoom gestures can be changed, and whether it is possible to read from next using Talkback.
Getting in Touch
- For questions or suggestions about the podcast, or if you would like to record a demo of an app, please feel free to send us those via email at email@example.com
- Please share this podcast, and subscribe using your favorite podcatcher. You can get links to the podcast for your favorite podcatcher by visiting the ANATAD Podcast website.
- Please find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.